Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Intelligence? Meh...

Intelligence is overrated.  It's necessary to get through school, into college, and hopefully into a meaningful career.  But as I've matured (ha!), I have learned that the ability to relate to other people and to really listen and talk to others as equals is a much more meaningful and important skill.  I'd rather spend my time with someone with a kind, open heart and empathy than someone with a 148 IQ in a heartbeat.   I come from a very intelligent family, and ironically, intelligence tests are something I give and interpret as part of my job.  Within my own family of origin, I'd probably score the lowest.  Not dumb, not Forrest Gump...but relatively lower than my other family members.  However, I believe that the skills that I have honed in dealing with people, ALL kinds of people, is so much more valuable than mere intelligence.

I remember telling a first year school psychologist, "you can know theories, tests, stats, and laws forwards and backwards, but if you don't know how to talk to people, you won't do well in this career."

So I can't help my 10 year daughter with her math homework, so what?  People know they can trust me, people know they can talk to me, and that I will listen with undivided and rapt attention. The people who have been given to me as gifts from God in my life have the same skills.  Did they go to college?  Do they work in a gas station?  I don't care.  Beautiful people are hard to come by, and I'm not referring to people who are beautiful on the outside, although I know many who are both, lucky suckers!

Praise Jesus for helping me to recognize this skill in myself, as well as blessing me with so many wonderful people who do the same for me, every day.  What is intelligence anyway?  Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment